Tuesday, January 04, 2005

It's that first week of the new year

It's that first week of the new year and I'm still not ready to start up - Especially as a freelancer, I'm not quite ready to answer the phone or to start worrying about where the work is going to come from. Hell, I haven't even bought a new calendar to write down all my jobs, appointments etc. For some reason, It is not even easy to find one. Perhaps I'm looking in all the wrong places.

It's that first week of the new year when you've got to file away all the paperwork from the previous year, clear out all the files, to make room for all the new bills, expenses, correspondences and call sheets. But I would rather just stay in bed and hope the phone doesn't ring.

Of course this is a particularly difficult time of waiting. Waiting for Russia to open up again after 10 days of their holiday to determine who our baby is, and when we get to meet her.
It's a tough week of waiting till next week when we can call the adoption agency and ask them what is going on. No use calling them now since all the offices are closed shut in Russia. It's their xmas/new year all rolled into one and the entire country closes down for ten days. . Really.
So here I am waiting for information and feeling kind of numb. Are we really going to become parents? How is this all going to work out? When is the baby furniture arriving? There are so many unanswered questions.

Today, I packed up all the stuff we bought to bring to Russia - the bottles, desitin, baby wipes, bibs, sippy cups, clothing, gifts for the caregivers at the orphanage - The NYFD T-shirts and hats - a favorite for foreigners . And all of this fits into a big duffle bag I bought many years ago - A Kipling bag that I carried to the Hamptons to my share houses, on vacations with numerous boyfriends and then gave to SM to use for her family. Years of trips to California, filled with gifts, toys, and children's clothing. And now this bag will be going to Perm, Russia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home