Saturday, October 09, 2004

Shopping at Target

L. and A. planned a trip to the new Target in Brooklyn and I decided to join them. It occured to me that I might as well bring the very long list of things I need to bring to the orphanage, including clothing for the children (no used items), gifts for the caregivers, some sort of gift to the orphange at large, and most importantly things I will need for our baby. The list, needless to say, is very long. But being the power shopper that I am ( 20 years as a stylist and set decorator), I accepted the challenge and grabbed a big red shopping cart and started shopping.

L. and A. were very helpful, A. was especially adept in the art supplies section, picking out all of her favorites including crayons, markers, and multi-colored pipe cleaners. The adoption agency suggested bringing art supplies to the kids, and I loved the idea. We filled the cart with a coloful array of supplies. Then I picked out some hats and scarves for the care-givers. A., who is 7 years old kept asking "Who are we buying this stuff for?" A good question since I'm sure this all seemed very confusing to her. I told her we were buying stuff for the other children at the orphanage and the scarves, hats and watches were for people like, her babysitter, Rose, who take care of the children in the Russian orphanage.

The three of us then headed upstairs and found ourselves in the baby and toddler department. We discovered a sale rack of onesies, t-shirts, pants and other adorable clothing, all for under $10.00. Of course I picked things as if I were dressing my own child, and trying to balance the clothing between boys and girls. I remember one of the adoption people telling us not to be surprised to see little boy's dressed in girl's clothing since they put them in whatever is available.

A. said she was tired of shopping for baby stuff. I don't think she had foreseen that this would be a shopping trip for the baby, but more a spree for her. So she retreated to the toy department to pick out a present for all her hard work. L and I continued into the depths of the baby dept. and started tackling the part of the list devoted to my baby's needs. We started pulling baby shampoo, vaseline, baby oil, thermometers and the quintessential baby supply Desitin off the shelves. A. joined us again and I sent her out on a search mission for washcloths, spoons and sippy cups. A. was also quite helpful in picking out pacifiers for boys and girls. L. was extremely helpful as well in recommending some of her favorite brands.

My favorite item was a adorable bowl with top decorated with images of Winnie the Pooh. At this point, the cart was near overflowing and we decided to conclude our shopping spree. We checked out $375 poorer but the experience was truly priceless. As we were leaving, I saw pregnant women coming in to do the same thing, preparing for their new lives, a little hesitantly, but also with great hope and excitement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home